Heritage Skills Train the Trainer Course, Starting November 2021
South West College in partnership with Fermanagh and Omagh District Council has secured funding from the National Lottery Heritage Fund for provision of the Train the Trainer programme. The successful completion of the programme will see 12 participants awarded an:
- NVQ Level 3 Diploma in Heritage Skills
- Assessors Award
This programme aims to:
- Fund high-quality, work-based training opportunities to equip people with the skills and qualifications to pursue a career in heritage.
- Improve the heritage skills knowledge and understanding of local craftspeople in the approach to, and methods involved in the conservation, repair and maintenance of pre-1919 buildings.
- Help to improve the provision of traditional building craft skills training within mainstream construction course delivery.
- Build a network of fully accredited tutors to facilitate heritage apprenticeship training.
The programme aims will be met through a combination of assessment evidence and a focus on practical skills.
The Train the Trainer programme is limited to 12 participant places for:
- Current heritage crafts people, to gain a Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Heritage Skills. Upon completion of the L3 Diploma, participants will complete the Assessors Award, to enable them to deliver training and assessment in the future.
- Upskilling of competent construction professionals (e.g. an experienced site joiner) to complete a L3 Diploma Heritage Skills, focused on practical skills and experience.
The programme offers the following professional pathways:
The Train the Trainer programme will provide up to 25 hours training and assessment to the craftsperson. Assessors will operate with the craftsperson on a 1:1 basis, conducting meetings, looking for evidence of competence both in the college and visiting the workplace.
- Mason – Stonemasonry Heritage Skills
- Wood Occupations – Heritage Joinery
- Plastering (Solid) – Lime Plastering
Programme begins 15th November 2021
In addition to gaining a professional qualification, the benefits of the NVQ Level 3 in Heritage Skills include:
- An assessors award for progression as a qualified trainer / assessor
- Become Heritage Registered and gain your CSR Gold Card (Craft)
- Improved employment opportunities
- Valuable business networking opportunities
- Gain your new qualification in less than 6 month
Applicants must meet the following selection criteria:
- NVQ Level 2 in a Construction Craft or
- Significant construction experience 3-5 years, with appropriate references and an interview to determine suitability
To register for this course please request application form from:
Heritage Skills Co-ordinator
T: 028 82250109 Ext: 2594 / 07876758579
Closing Date 3rd November 2021
Course funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund
Limited to 12 places
For more information about this project click here