Lough Erne Schools Convention 2021
During five days in late September and early October 2021 the Lough Erne Landscape Partnership hosted the second ever Lough Erne Schools Convention at the Share Discovery Village, Lisnaskea.
Previously held in 2019, the Lough Erne Schools Convention was a one-day event, however this year, due to Covid19 restrictions, groups of enthusiastic Key Stage 2 pupils from local primary schools have been welcomed over a series of five days. Each day, pupils from P5 to P7 got to experience Upper Lough Erne from their canoes with the Share Discovery Village and learn about its inhabitants and environments. The following workshops were delivered as part of the convention:
- Volcanoes and Earthquakes with Cuilcagh Lakelands Geopark
- Pond dipping and what lives in the lake with Waterways Ireland
- Seeds to trees and their lifecycles with RSPB NI
- Mini beasts and bugs with Buglife
- Bulb planting and biodiversity with Fermanagh and Omagh District Council Biodiversity Team
In total thirteen different schools attended bringing over 500 pupils to the Convention, and despite a couple of rain showers all teachers, pupils and providers enjoyed the activities provided.